Skip to main content

A friend, far yet close.


The cliche quote," Good friends are like stars, you don't always see them but they are always there." pretty much sums up the relationship that I have with one of my best friends, my dearest Claire. Now originally Claire and I were sworn enemies and could barely stand the sight of each other. We fought with each other up to a day when we realised that we needed to fight for each other, and so the beginning of what I know will be a life-long friendship.

I can still so clearly remember the day I had to say good-bye to Claire when we moved to South Africa, both of us crying uncontrollably next to the road outside our apartment at the school and both refusing to let go of each other until we had no choice but to release one another... by far one of the toughest good-byes yet. But what I didn't completely grasp that day was the solid foundation that our friendship had and that that would carry us through the challenge of distance that we still face today.

One of the best feelings is getting a message out of the blue from her asking how I'm doing or just that she's thinking of me, because I know its genuine. We don't talk constantly or even regularly but when we do, we pick up right where we left off and the love and care for each other never departs our hearts. I know that Claire is the one person that I can turn to, can be truly honest with and more than that that she will be honest with me. Its not often in life that one finds that kind of friendship.

Being tagged in memes on Facebook or videos on Instagram that depict me or anything to do with me show me just how well she really knows me, even though we are a thousand kilometres apart. Claire knows the core of me, the things that are unwavering and I'd like to say that I know those things about her too. Heading up to surprise her in 2015 was one of the greatest adventures and one I'd like to repeat as soon as possible, our time together is few and far between but that makes it even more precious.

Claire, you are among the few people who have stuck by me through it all. Without ever doubting in me, you have offered your support and love. I am sitting here with a grin on my face because I am realising once again that you are a person that I'd go to battle with any day, as long as its your side I'm on. I'm privileged to say that I have a friend, a sister in you and more than privileged I remain grateful.

So this is for my friend who may be far in kilometres but always close in heart (I started with a cliche so I had to end with one).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advert adventures: Khaki English

Post advert, proud of the end product feat. Pappa's beloved Landy  Being a communication student, I am always ready to jump in to help with any assignment or project that requires creativity or language skills. Over the weekend, whilst visiting with family here in Potchefstroom, my cousin, Christine, took advantage of the opportunity to pick my brain concerning her English assignment - making an advertisement. A few ideas came to mind and after a few minutes, we had a basic blueprint laid out. After procrastinating the whole of Saturday, when Sunday afternoon was upon us we realized that it was now or never. We made quick work of arranging a set from a white table cloth and costumes out of Oom Christiaan's old khaki shirts and caps. Wikus, Christine's brother was roped in as cameraman and sound effect- maker, Jandri, the little sister, was in charge of lighting and Christine and I the actresses. After a few humorous attempts in the house and a rehearsal of lines, we

Plattelandse vrede

A week in the Free State  Having planned this visit for the whole quarter, by the time Elbie and I hit the road for Vrede (her hometown) we were both excited and filled with anticipation for the following week that I would be visiting her. And by no means what so ever was I disappointed. I could write a book about my week in the Free State but for the sake of time and convenience, I'll share a few of the week's highlights. 1. SNOW!... in November So coming in right at the top of my list is seeing the snow. Not only were we able to see the snow but it was actually snowing! My hosts set the bar for the rest of the week pretty high when we ventured towards Clarens and Bethlehem on the second day of my visit to go find the snow (just take notice that it is November).   After driving the whole afternoon and seeing nothing but the cold yet beautiful towns that we drove through, we finally found the snow at the top of one of the mountains in the Golden Gate nature reser

Wapad - I bid you farewell

Dearest Wapad From the moment that I put my CV into the blue folder on your door, it has been adventure and growth and glorious experience upon glorious experience. You have given me opportunities that I could never have dreamt of in my wildest dreams and for that I will forever be thankful. You have not only taught me that my comfort zone is actually an awful place to be but also that every person is worth having a conversation with and that the chance that they will surprise you is great. The excitement that came along with each "The newspapers are here!" message on a Thursday (supposedly but rarely) and the chaotic meetings filled with a constant chattering and exchange of enthusiastic ideas on a Monday evening are the moments that I cherish and will miss most! Thank you for the people that you forced me to allow into my life. They have formed me, changed me, renewed me but more than anything else accepted me (contradictory, I know but that's what makes t