Skip to main content

Journals, cake and 19 years later.

It is easy to take a birthday for granted. Another year, another celebration. But is so much more than that. It is an opportunity to show our gratitude for a year that has passed, a year of life that we could be a part of. And it is exactly this gratitude and thankfulness that I experienced on my birthday this year. 

There were no extravagant parties or balloons but I was completely overwhelmed by love and care by every person in my life. Every message, phone call, and Facebook post reminded me that the people in my life see me and appreciate me and that on its own was enough for me. 

I didn't receive overly expensive or over the top presents but those I did get were given with such thought and love. That meant so much more to me that any price tag ever could. A journal in which I could scribble my heart's words, an Antjie Krog anthology which is inspiration enough to write my own, a basket full of Woolies surprises and a cake to share my celebrations with those closest to me just to name a few. 

Cake celebrations in res 

Throughout the day, the privilege to be able to celebrate the past 19 years of my life became more and more profound. Another year is not guaranteed, making it even more important to treasure the 19 I have been given. 

It was a bonus to able to spend the first few minutes of the day with my parents on the farm before hitting the road back to university. The tradition of a cup of tea with the family on the morning of your birthday was at least upheld, which meant a great start to my day. The following plus-minus seven hours I spent on the road (the piece between Potch and Pretoria I nearly did not survive) just to get back to Potchefstroom, but once I was here I was showered with love and presents from all my closest friends. Dinner with Oom Christiaan and his family was a very special ending to an already great day. 

Dinner with the family

After a day like that, I feel completely prepared to take the new year that lies ahead of me by storm. I thank my Abba Father for blessing me without limits, with such amazing friends and family. For giving me the strength to overcome every challenge that was in my path in the last year and for giving me the abundant strength to do accomplish even more in the year to come. 

To every person who contributed to making my day as special as it was, I say thank you! My life would be dull without the colour that each person adds. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advert adventures: Khaki English

Post advert, proud of the end product feat. Pappa's beloved Landy  Being a communication student, I am always ready to jump in to help with any assignment or project that requires creativity or language skills. Over the weekend, whilst visiting with family here in Potchefstroom, my cousin, Christine, took advantage of the opportunity to pick my brain concerning her English assignment - making an advertisement. A few ideas came to mind and after a few minutes, we had a basic blueprint laid out. After procrastinating the whole of Saturday, when Sunday afternoon was upon us we realized that it was now or never. We made quick work of arranging a set from a white table cloth and costumes out of Oom Christiaan's old khaki shirts and caps. Wikus, Christine's brother was roped in as cameraman and sound effect- maker, Jandri, the little sister, was in charge of lighting and Christine and I the actresses. After a few humorous attempts in the house and a rehearsal of lines, we

Wapad - I bid you farewell

Dearest Wapad From the moment that I put my CV into the blue folder on your door, it has been adventure and growth and glorious experience upon glorious experience. You have given me opportunities that I could never have dreamt of in my wildest dreams and for that I will forever be thankful. You have not only taught me that my comfort zone is actually an awful place to be but also that every person is worth having a conversation with and that the chance that they will surprise you is great. The excitement that came along with each "The newspapers are here!" message on a Thursday (supposedly but rarely) and the chaotic meetings filled with a constant chattering and exchange of enthusiastic ideas on a Monday evening are the moments that I cherish and will miss most! Thank you for the people that you forced me to allow into my life. They have formed me, changed me, renewed me but more than anything else accepted me (contradictory, I know but that's what makes t

Plattelandse vrede

A week in the Free State  Having planned this visit for the whole quarter, by the time Elbie and I hit the road for Vrede (her hometown) we were both excited and filled with anticipation for the following week that I would be visiting her. And by no means what so ever was I disappointed. I could write a book about my week in the Free State but for the sake of time and convenience, I'll share a few of the week's highlights. 1. SNOW!... in November So coming in right at the top of my list is seeing the snow. Not only were we able to see the snow but it was actually snowing! My hosts set the bar for the rest of the week pretty high when we ventured towards Clarens and Bethlehem on the second day of my visit to go find the snow (just take notice that it is November).   After driving the whole afternoon and seeing nothing but the cold yet beautiful towns that we drove through, we finally found the snow at the top of one of the mountains in the Golden Gate nature reser