Skip to main content

Interpreting it all: First-years, HK and PUKKE

Eenmal 'n PUK, altyd 'n PUK. 


For the last two weeks, I have had the opportunity to get an inside look at the Registration and Orientation (R&O) programme through interpreting from Afrikaans to English for the first years in my residence. Being a first-year last year, that was the only perspective that I had of the introduction process but as an interpreter, I was granted a full-access pass. 

This pass granted me access to the perspectives of all the parties involved, the HK (house committee members) as well as the first-years on the receiving side as well as my own perspective as a relatively new senior in the residence. It has provided many laughs and a great experience where I learned to love and appreciate my residence and my university even more.  

I saw the HK put on a brave and strict face for the sake of brewing a deep and well-earned respect and the first-years shake in their boots at the prospect of having to face the upcoming weeks with these ladies at the steer. But as the days passed and the ladies started to get to know each other and the system better, I saw a pride for their residence as well as for their HK and for the NWU start to develop, more than respect out of fear. 

Tears of exhaustion and overtired laughing were also in abundance, making the bond between the involved parties stronger as the days went by. Having been through the exact same experience just the year before, I could completely empathize with each first-year but I was also granted the opportunity to see the toll the process takes on the very hard-working and dedicated HK who went out of their way to give the first-years the very best experience that they possibly could whilst enabling them to handle university life and all the challenges it holds.  

The politics that unfolded at the North-West University in the last few weeks were also not an easy burden to carry whilst trying to continue with the full schedule. It added pressure to all involved and yet not once did the first-years or HK turn the very unpleasant situation into an issue or problem that they couldn't address and move past. This was a hurdle that they flew over. The unity displayed in my residence concerning the issues at hand proved once again that my choice of university, residence, and course was spot on. 


Although there is a definite unhappiness and uncertainty about the situation, never once did the students through their hands up in defeat but rather lifted their hands up together in unity showing that a university that stands together for what its students believe in, is a ship that cannot sink no matter how many icebergs it hits. 

So all together I am very proud to be a resident of Minjonet Ladies Residence. I proud to be a NWU-PUKKE and I am excited to see what the future has in store for us as an institution. No mountain is too high and no river too deep if we stand together. 

Good luck for the last week of R&O, I truely belive that this is only the beginning of a very successful year that lies ahead. 



KYK NET HOE BAIE PUKKE IS ONS HIER. 

P.S Shout out to Stefanie - thank you for your support. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advert adventures: Khaki English

Post advert, proud of the end product feat. Pappa's beloved Landy  Being a communication student, I am always ready to jump in to help with any assignment or project that requires creativity or language skills. Over the weekend, whilst visiting with family here in Potchefstroom, my cousin, Christine, took advantage of the opportunity to pick my brain concerning her English assignment - making an advertisement. A few ideas came to mind and after a few minutes, we had a basic blueprint laid out. After procrastinating the whole of Saturday, when Sunday afternoon was upon us we realized that it was now or never. We made quick work of arranging a set from a white table cloth and costumes out of Oom Christiaan's old khaki shirts and caps. Wikus, Christine's brother was roped in as cameraman and sound effect- maker, Jandri, the little sister, was in charge of lighting and Christine and I the actresses. After a few humorous attempts in the house and a rehearsal of lines, we

Wapad - I bid you farewell

Dearest Wapad From the moment that I put my CV into the blue folder on your door, it has been adventure and growth and glorious experience upon glorious experience. You have given me opportunities that I could never have dreamt of in my wildest dreams and for that I will forever be thankful. You have not only taught me that my comfort zone is actually an awful place to be but also that every person is worth having a conversation with and that the chance that they will surprise you is great. The excitement that came along with each "The newspapers are here!" message on a Thursday (supposedly but rarely) and the chaotic meetings filled with a constant chattering and exchange of enthusiastic ideas on a Monday evening are the moments that I cherish and will miss most! Thank you for the people that you forced me to allow into my life. They have formed me, changed me, renewed me but more than anything else accepted me (contradictory, I know but that's what makes t

Plattelandse vrede

A week in the Free State  Having planned this visit for the whole quarter, by the time Elbie and I hit the road for Vrede (her hometown) we were both excited and filled with anticipation for the following week that I would be visiting her. And by no means what so ever was I disappointed. I could write a book about my week in the Free State but for the sake of time and convenience, I'll share a few of the week's highlights. 1. SNOW!... in November So coming in right at the top of my list is seeing the snow. Not only were we able to see the snow but it was actually snowing! My hosts set the bar for the rest of the week pretty high when we ventured towards Clarens and Bethlehem on the second day of my visit to go find the snow (just take notice that it is November).   After driving the whole afternoon and seeing nothing but the cold yet beautiful towns that we drove through, we finally found the snow at the top of one of the mountains in the Golden Gate nature reser